Proverbs 4:20-22 – “My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh.” NKJV
Have you ever stopped to really listen to commercials selling pharmaceutical drugs? It can really be laughable if it wasn’t so alarming. A well known drug for allergies can cause severe allergic reactions, severe dizziness and trouble breathing. A medication for high blood pressure can cause a loss of potassium, leg cramps, gout and the need for other medications. Other side effects are depression, cold hands and feet, insomnia, symptoms of asthma, and in some cases, kidney failure. Some times I have to wonder if we are not better off without the medicines since the side effects that accompany these medications are often worst.
Thanks be to God that there is a medicine that have long lasting, eternal side effects that are not harmful to your physical body! The Word of God! I’ll talk more about that in a minute.
Now all medications come with instructions. Some require that it be taken four times a day, while others may just be daily! The medicine of God’s word is the same. It comes with instruction! In our verse for today, the writer encourages us to pay attention to His words. Now we understand that we are paying attention to the word of God when we are reading and meditating on it. After paying attention to the word, we are to be willing to learn all that we can from it. If you have never heard this before, be willing to learn what the word teaches about healing. We are to keep the word in our sight and to keep it in the center of our heart. Again, this is not a passive or just for the moment attention to the word. It is a commitment to the word. All of these instructions are for how we are to take the word to get the best results!
Then he tells us what the results are for taking the word: they are life to those who find them, and health and healing to all of their flesh! Healing means I am getting healed from some attack on my body, and health means that I am kept from a need to be healed. So the word of God produces life, health, and healing to those who find them; both present and future results of allowing the word to be your medicine.
In God’s medicine cabinet, what we call the Bible, are countless scriptures regarding His promise to heal us. One of the most well-known scriptures on healing is found in Exodus 15:26-“…For I am the Lord who heals you.” Another favorite of mine and well known verse is Isaiah 53:5- “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.” In this blog, I can only mention a few of my favorites, but you can do a search for healing scriptures and get an entire list of them. Also, you can probably look up a YouTube video of someone reading them, so I won’t redo what you can find elsewhere.
I do, however, want to return to the instructions on taking the word. No one told me anything but to get the healing scriptures and to confess them over myself. (I actually own Kenneth Hagin’s “Healing Scriptures” in hard copy and ebook.) But through the years I have developed some “techniques” for taking the medicine of God’s Word that I will share.
• First, I get a list of healing scriptures. I either grab a book off my shelf or google a list. Sometimes I just go from my memory of the scriptures.
• Then, I begin to worship Him and thank Him for the validity of His Word, for His faithfulness to His word, for His healing power throughout the years, etc.
• I then go through the list one verse at a time, making it very personal. For example: “ Lord, you promised in Your Word that if I would obey You and Your word that You wouldn’t allow the sickness and disease that is on the world to come upon me. That You would reveal Yourself and be to me the Lord that heals! I am so thankful for that and I receive that Word as truth. As I have endeavored to obey Your word, I have placed myself in right standing with you to be healed. I receive it for myself, or my family, or my friend right now in Jesus’ Name! And I continue to go through the list of verses in like manner.
• As I am going through the list, I will come upon a verse that will quicken me. It is at this verse that I will stop and camp. Let’s say that the verse is 1 Peter 2:24 today. Then I will begin to stand with tenacity on that verse. I will remind my body that Jesus hung on the cross and carried this thing in His Body on the cross so that I wouldn’t have to bear it, so I fully resist it! I will remind my body that when He died on the cross it was in order for me to be dead to my sins and therefore dead to sickness and disease! As I live in Him I am the righteousness of God and I live to righteousness. So irrespective to what sin the devil wants to hold charge against me, I plead the Blood and I decree that I am righteous! Now sickness and disease you leave my Body, you are trespassing and I command you to go!
• If the symptoms don’t leave immediately, I don’t say or think, this isn’t working! I just keep attacking each symptom with God’s word knowing that it will bow to the uncompromising word of God! This medicine is strong! It goes between joints and marrow, it is quick and powerful, it’s sharper than a two-edge sword. There is no defense against the Word of God. Nothing can withstand it when it is wielded properly. So start swinging the sword of the Word at this coronavirus today! I know I am!
Now back to side effects! The side effects of the word of God is that the more you use it, the more you will want to use it. The more you see it work in your life, the more you will apply it to your life. The more you take it, the stronger your physical and spiritual beings will become. And most importantly, the stronger your trust, and therefore, your relationship with God will become! Then as your faith grows, you will be able to reach out to others who are sick and share your medicine with them because your doctor, the Great Physician won’t mind at all. In fact, He will highly recommend it!
If I could write a blog that wouldn’t be extremely long, and potentially boring to you, I would go through all of my healing scriptures and tell you some things I have seen, maybe in shorter doses I can. But let me share this quick testimony:
Our daughter inherited eczema through her dad’s bloodline. And after years of us putting creams on it and praying over it, she had had enough. As a matter of fact, she came to me and said that I didn’t pray over her like I prayed over the people at the church and she wanted to be healed! So the Lord gave me the strategy of us combating it daily with the word. One day I would have a verse, the next day she would, and we would pray that verse over her. Then, one day we prayed and it was a wrap! No more was she tormented in her flesh with that skin rash. Not only that, but her skin cleared up! She was made free! The word works! Don’t let the devil try and convince you that it doesn’t!
At this time, while we are gearing up in America for more and more cases of the coronavirus, and other countries are dealing with the heart of it, I think we should gear up for our vaccine against it! Get into God’s medicine cabinet today, and get His word working on your behalf! He has carried your sins and diseases and with His stripes, you were HEALED! Wonderful Jesus!