Isaiah 9:6 – “For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” NKJV
Who do you turn to when you need advice? Most of us, if we’re fortunate to have a good friend will turn to our friend. Some of us will turn to a parent or parent figure, while others will turn to a pastor, sibling, or perhaps a professional counselor. Whomever you choose to seek out for advice, make sure that advice is something you can live with.
Immediately upon sitting down to write this blog I thought of Rehoboam, the son of Solomon. Solomon had died, and the people of Israel, along with Jeroboam, went to Rehoboam to ask him to lighten their load; and they would serve him. He asked for three days to give his decision. In the meantime, he asked his father’s advisors what he should do? They encouraged him to give the people what they asked for. He rejected that advice and asked his friends. His friends told him to do the opposite, encouraging him to be tough on Israel. It was at this point that the nation of Israel was split! What terrible advice he chose to follow!
Jesus is an amazing Counselor. He won the hearts of His followers because of it! Let’s take a quick peek at some of His counsel:
- You are the salt of the earth. If salt loses its flavor, it is good for nothing!
- You are the light of the world. Don’t hide your light under a basket!
- You have heard it said, don’t murder! I say that whoever is angry with his brother without cause is in danger of the judgment!
- If you bring your gift to the altar and remember that your brother has something against you, leave it and first be reconciled to your brother, then come and offer it!
- You were told, don’t commit adultery. I tell you that if you look after a woman to lust for her, you’ve already committed adultery!
- Do to others, what you want them to do to you!
- Forgive, or your Heavenly Father won’t forgive you!
- Give and it will be given to you!
- Pray for those who use you!
- Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you!
- Let your yes, be yes, and your no, be no!
- When you give a charitable gift, don’t let others know about it!
- And the list can go on and on, for His words are still being regarded as wise counsel!
Some of the things I have sought Counselor Jesus on are:
- Joining the Navy – I asked Him what to do with my life when I was about 21. He told me to join the Navy. I asked Him why? He told me, and I joined. After all the papers were signed, He told me that my husband was an officer in the Navy. I say yes to the Counselor’s advice!
- Finding my husband- I specifically asked Him after meeting each man, “Lord, is this the one or should I look for another?” When I met my husband He told me to look no further. He even told me to reach out to him at his base in Florida, and directed my call to the right place. Counselor, counseled, and I listened!
- Raising our kids- He told me to discipline them so that He wouldn’t have to send angels to rescue them. They are all young women, loving their Counselor!
- Working on the job- He’s helped me out so much with His counsel in this area. One time I was so tired of teaching that I had decided to give my students a worksheet to keep them busy; so I could just go and sit down! We had been in testing all week. Just as I was handing out the worksheets, He told me to keep teaching. Less than five minutes went by when my principal walked in to observe me. Later, he shared with me that I was always on my job, no matter what. He observed that I was teaching while others were sitting around. The very thing that was in my heart. Counselor, counseled, I listened!
Here’s the point! The Child that was born is called Counselor, because He is full of wisdom. There is no situation that we can face today that He has not already encountered with another individual. He is not shocked by what we think, say, or do. He already knows it all. He sees our past, present, and future, and is highly qualified to give counsel for our lives. His words may appear to some to be ancient, but no wiser words have ever been spoken. If His advice is followed, we don’t have to worry about it being the wrong advice. It will prosper in our lives.
Maybe you haven’t recognized the free advice you have in the Savior. Maybe you haven’t stopped to ask His thoughts on the matters of your heart. Or maybe, like Rehoboam, you asked Him, then rejected it. Today is a great time to begin listening to the Counselor’s advice. He has your best interest at heart and knows more than any parent, friend, pastor, or human being. However, don’t be surprised if He sends you to one of them, because He can give them just the right words to say! Wonderful Jesus!
4 thoughts on “His Name is Counselor!”
Good Morning 😃 Minister Martie
I’m Enjoying the Blogs especially this series.
Keep going. Miss you all. Love you
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much! Miss seeing you too! Wonderful Jesus!
Amen Minister Martie If we trust him we should trust the counseling he provided…..
LikeLiked by 1 person
Amen! Wonderful Jesus!