Isaiah 9:6 – “For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. NKJV
Many years ago I began answering my phone, “Wonderful Jesus”! At first, this was a shock to people’s ears, causing many to stop and ask me, what was it that I had said? Okay, in all honesty, people still do! I’m not sure at what point I started this, but I remember thinking that many people I knew answered their phone with “Praise the Lord” and I didn’t want to be a copy cat! Therefore, I had to come up with something a little more original.
One of my favorite songs as a young believer was sung by Larnelle Harris and Sandi Patti, “More Than Wonderful”. I still love this song today! Many days, while folding laundry in my basement, I would sing this song, and I guess the phrase just took root in my heart. I believe that Jesus is wonderful! On my answering service I even go so far as to say, “And He is truly wonderful”! Now, I am greeted by many people with this same phrase, because it is a true testament of how we see Him in our heart!
“And His name will be called Wonderful”! Some versions of the Bible have the comma after Counselor, as if He will be called Wonderful Counselor, but I agree with the Young’s Literal Translation that Wonderful is His Name!
- I call Him Wonderful because He saved me from eternal damnation and has given me eternal life!
- I call Him Wonderful because He took my grief laden heart and turned it into rejoicing!
- I call Him Wonderful because He healed my body of encephalitis and gave my legs strength to walk again!
- I call Him Wonderful because He kept me from so much junk!
- I call Him Wonderful because He first loved me!
- I call Him Wonderful because He loves me for who I am, not for who I can be, or ought to be!
- I call Him Wonderful because He watches over my family!
- I call Him Wonderful because He chose an amazing man for me to spend my life with!
- I call Him Wonderful because my husband and our daughters call Him Lord!
- I call Him Wonderful because He has healed so many people!
- I call Him Wonderful because He is so good to me!
- I call Him Wonderful because He is God!
- I call Him Wonderful because He allowed me to partner with Him in His kingdom!
- I call Him Wonderful because, because, because, because!
Every single day of my life I call Him Wonderful! However, He isn’t just Wonderful to me! He’s Wonderful to all of those who call Him Savior! Everyday people are being saved from the clutches of the devil! Isn’t that just Wonderful? Everyday people are finding the strength to overcome! He’s Wonderful! Everyday people are gaining new insight into the kingdom and understanding Him better! That’s Wonderful! And every single day He keeps loving, forgiving, teaching, nurturing, saving, healing, and delivering! It’s easy to see why He is called Wonderful!
A song I learned as a kid has these words:
Isn’t He Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful?
Isn’t Jesus, my Lord, Wonderful?
Eyes have seen, ears have heard,
It’s recorded in God’s Word,
Isn’t Jesus, my Lord, Wonderful?
Sometimes I just need to take a break from information and share a little inspiration. Take a few minutes today and think about all the times He has revealed Himself to you as, Wonderful! Then share them with Him or someone you love. It could be your psalm of praise to the One who has been Wonderful to you! Wonderful Jesus!