Luke 11:2 -So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven…”
I think it is noteworthy, that Jesus said, “When you pray” and not “if” you pray. Unfortunately, statics show (I’ve often wondered who were the people they surveyed) that most Christians spend very little time in prayer. So I thought that I would blog about prayer.
What happens when you pray? Are your prayers being answered? Are they seemingly not being heard? Does nothing happen? Does something happen every now and again?
Today this scripture resonated with me and I couldn’t help but ask myself, “What happens when you pray?” What happened when Jesus prayed?
So let’s take a look at what I discovered about what happened when Jesus prayed:
- Luke 3:21- the heavens opened while He prayed
- Luke 5:16-He prayed often in the wilderness and the paralyzed and many others were healed
- Luke 6:12-After praying all night, He chose the 12 disciples
- Luke 9:29-As He prayed, He was transfigured (His appearance and His clothing changed; and Moses and Elijah appeared with Him)
- Luke 11:1-As He prayed, His disciples asked Him to teach them to pray
- Matthew 14:23-30- After He prayed, He walked on water and so did Peter
- Matthew 26-He prayed and then He went to the cross
- Mark 1:35-He prayed in a solitary place and cast out demons and cleansed the lepers
- John 14:16- He prayed and the Father sent the Holy Spirit to be our Helper
This is just a quick list of the things that happened when Jesus prayed.
I am convinced that when I pray, something should be happening all the time. I didn’t look at every instance when Jesus prayed, but I am confident that He always prayed, and always got results! The Bible mentions in detail, less than 40 miracles that Jesus performed, but then multitudes were often healed when He was around. I believe He made such an impact, because He prayed often and there is much evidence to support this!
I believe in prayer! I’ve seen some wonderful things happen as a result of my prayers, the prayers of others, and corporate prayer with my church. God is on the move! But today!!! Today when I thought about all the things that happened when Jesus prayed, I found myself feeling like the disciples, “Lord, teach me to pray! I felt like I have not even touched the tip of the iceberg in prayer, when I think about all He accomplished after prayer. Wow!! I’ll continue this thought next time! Wonderful Jesus!