Psalm 119:11 – “Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.” NKJV
Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible. What makes it such a wonderful psalm is that it speaks of the blessings or benefits of the word of God. Today, I would like to share a few benefits of the word! As you can see from the picture, it is a psalm I have marked up in my personal Bible!
1. That I might not sin against God- The psalmist wrote the importance of hiding God’s word in our heart, we call it memorizing scripture, that we might not sin against God. How does that work? As you go throughout your day, your life, the word that is in your heart will be quickened in your spirit, at just the right time, to help you.
2. That I might see wondrous things in the word- The psalmist asked God to open his eyes, not his physical eyes, but his spiritual eyes, that he might see wondrous things in the word. Asking God to open your eyes while reading the word keeps it fresh and interesting. Things He reveal to you during your time of reading become the cornerstone of your faith. It’s one thing to be told He is good, and another thing to have Him reveal that to you through His word!
3. Strengthen me according to your word-In this verse, the psalmist admits to having a heaviness in his soul; but he recognizes that God’s word will bring him strength. As a matter of fact, this is a request for the word to do just that, strengthen him!
4. Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end.-There are a lot of people who would rather have someone explain the word to them, than for them to get in the word. The psalmist understands that when God teaches His word to him, he will have a tendency to keep it. Again, being told to live holy, and getting an understanding of why He wants you to live holy through His word, has a greater impact on your life.
5. Remember the word to your servant, upon which you have caused me to hope-This is a powerful verse. God’s word tells us that we can remind Him of the word upon which He has caused us to hope. Whether that word is a word about salvation, healing, deliverance, strength, if He gave it to you, and caused you to hope on it, you can remind Him of that truth! Prophecies come to encourage us to wait on God. His word is a sure word of prophecy!
6. Forever, O Lord, your word is settled in heaven- This is a truth of God’s word that every single believer needs to know. It is forever settled! It doesn’t change from year to year, from generation to generation, from situation to situation, the word is settled in heaven! This truth about God’s word is the anchor of faith. It can be trusted because it it does not change!
7. Unless your law had been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.- Delighting in the Lord is medicinal. When affliction comes upon us, and we delight ourselves in the word of God, it keeps us from perishing in the midst of that affliction. Reading His word should be a delight, not a chore! When we delight in it, the word produces all that we need.
8. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. – How many of us need direction on a regular basis? I do! The word will lead you in the way to go. It will keep you from having regrets in your life as you allow it to light your path. I can testify over and over again to the word being a lamp to my feet, a light to my path. I have very few regrets in my life as a result of allowing the word to lead me. It’s direction is priceless.
9. I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep your word.-This is key to your victory. When you really know the word, you have the power to turn from evil. You understand by the word it is wrong to commit sexual sin of any kind. When you are convinced of that truth, you walk away from it. Josh McDowell and Bob Hostetler wrote a book years ago, that I used in my teens ministry, “Beyond Belief to Convictions”. It’s time to stop just believing the Bible is the word of God and to having a conviction in your soul that it is so!
10. You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.- His word gives us hope! It is our hiding place during the storm. It is our shield against attacks! It is our safety net in life. And because of the power of God’s word to protect us, we can hope in it for all we need.
Today’s post is a little long, but I just love talking about the Word! And I have only written about ten of the one hundred seventy six verses of the psalm! So much available to us through His word! Wonderful Jesus!